-----Welcome to my Vision Quest ( 歡迎光臨藝術工作室 )-----

Friday, December 02, 2005

Reflective Practice Notes

Research Objectives

For my research objectives I will be looking into areas such as semiotics and narrative to strengthen my work which is very autobiographical. I hope having more knowledge of narrative will help me gain a more objective essence to my work. As for semiotics I want to be in full control and knowledge over the visuals for the creation of my work. I plan on developing my work in the form of a mixed media graphic novel. Each chapter of the graphic novel will be done with different mixed media techniques which relates closest to the storyline at the particular moment in time. I have been looking at and will research deeper into the work of graphic novelist’s Gaiman, Storey, Mckean, Sienkiewicz, Teroux, Spurlock, Mack, Hampton, Ricci, Mays, Maleev and Al Davison.

After a discussion with David John my dissertation tutor, I was pointed in the direction to researching semiotics and narrative in greater detail; he felt this would strengthen my work. We also discussed the recording off my progress in a weblog that I have been using since June 2005 ( www.thommy.tk ). I feel that the research and recording of my work on my weblog gives me a big advantage as it practically timestamps the images and ideas I had at those moments which will make a much more visible and recordable record of my artistic journey this year. In just looking at an image on the weblog I can remember exactly what I was thinking and aiming for at that time, this will definitely come in useful in the finishing of my reflective practice module essay. I also have a links section on my site to most of my researched artists for quick referencing. David John also suggested to record opinions others have about my work to support and reinforce my views and intentions of my work later on.

In many discussions with graphic novelist Al Davidson I had gained many names to research and more books that would help me understand different approaches to storytelling and art techniques that would bring out interesting results. By attending lessons in his comic shop/studio he gives me once a week, I feel soon I will have a snowball of knowledge in storytelling through the graphic novel medium.


My Research So Far

So far I have researched storytelling techniques of graphic novelists as well as some screenwriters and general masters of arts that have an underlying hold on my techniques and general feel to my work. Recently I had an exhibition of my work and taking David John's advice I had conversations with the viewers of my work at the exhibition as well has an exhibition comments book that was supplied by the gallery. I intend to take these notes, conversations further into my work as soon as the main bulk of a reflective practice comes into play.

Working and reading has been a real eye-opener, looking at how the eye moves to read and travels round an image or page and how this can be manipulated in graphic novels illustrations and paintings interests me greatly. Also in discussions with Al Davison I have learned to write and illustrate in the different styles such as screenwriting, playwriting and the graphic novel.

Very fortunately I had the opportunity to work at an NEC Comic Convention (November 2005) which I worked for free to cover an ill friend. Using this to my advantage I met and shared ideas with a few contempory artists and graphic novelists that were visiting and had a brief chat with Hollywood actor and special effects man Tom Savini ( Dusk Till Dawn and Dawn Of The Dead ) which sparked my teenage obsession with movie making and special effects.
With this in mind I teamed up with a third year performing arts student who is directing a play and she has asked me to do artwork that will appear in the set and also to display more of my work outside the theatre on the opening night. In return I hope to learn from the actors and the student herself. She is studying to be a director and a playwright. Hopefully this little side project will bear fruit for the future of my current work (if I push part of my writing towards movie or play format) the final piece could have a few twists yet.


How I Expect My Research To Develop i.e. Areas Of Aspiration

Naturally I hope something comes from working with the performing arts students as I like trying my hand at new things. I also have a friend who teaches media now so I can call upon him at some point to help tie a few loose ends together when it comes to recording performances or any kind of audio from my research.

It is to be highly expected of me to include photography, canvas painting, sculpture, performance, short story writing, children's stories, poems, interviews to the final piece as I already feel that from now that these can be supported by my writing to date. It is not that I am intending to use every skill I have in my
arsenal, it's just relevant to the frame of my writing as it reflects development and change within myself. I feel the line between my reflective practice and my actual final piece are in a way blurred because both are recording the current self and moving in the same timeline. I expect to overcome this confusion very soon, in fact I'm looking forward to reaching the point where my reflective practice and final piece can split so I can start being a little less subjective towards my work.

I expect to further still increase my research boundaries in all areas i.e. reading some novels that are considered autobiographical in nature, fine art, movies and plays. I feel I will have a few more exhibitions under my belt by the end of my course, and will have the opportunity to meet some more interesting people that can challenge and strengthen my ideas, work and myself to a level and a force that goes beyond this BA course.

No comments: